From: Nathan <nathan.stocks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:06:47
1 On 12/14/05, Dirk Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > > If you want to keep a "pure" Unix system hierarchy (which is my intention)
3 > > you should try to keep all elements on the place
4 > > where they are expected. This means no additional appendizes just because
5 > it
6 > > is technically opportune.
7 >
8 > > If I wanted a unclean file system, I could change to DarwinPorts or Fink
9 > ;)
10 >
11 > Just to show what I mean:
12 >
13 > My idea is to implement a better MacOS GUI integration of Gentoo installed
14 > tools.
15 > This means real app folders which contain the actual GUI and which call the
16 > correct Unix executables.
17 > These packages could either directly packages in ebuilds, or they could be
18 > external packages which are dependent on the actuall application.
19 > I.e. something like
20 >
21 > depends on
22 > ghostscript-gui <----- ghostscript
23 >
24 > In a non-prefixed approach, I can be sure that there will exist an
25 > executable /usr/bin/gs, which I can call.
26 > What I am to do in a prefixed system? Hope that the users did not forget to
27 > call setenv-gentoo on bootup?
28 > Start a local shell which calls setenv-gentoo, which maybe itself be
29 > somewhere on
30 > /Volumes/usbdrive/.hidden/far_away/big/long/path/to/gentoo/bin/setenv-gentoo
31 > And do a exec "/bin/sh gs"? This sounds like a rather big security problem
32 > to me, because nothing stops any malware to change things like
33 > the path variable.
34 >
35 > Regards
36 > Dirk
37
38 Sounds like you should read:
39
40 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/macos/targets.xml
41
42 If I'm not mistaken, you want the "Darwin Portage"-type setup. If you
43 read the "Road Map" section, you will see that it's been decided to
44 head in the "Gentoo Portage for Mac OS X" direction (i.e. prefix).
45
46 I'm sure that no one would object if you decided to head up your own
47 "Darwin Portage" project, as there would be some overlap.
48
49 ~ Nathan
52 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list