From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:34:10
1 >> I don't think I have the time or will to implement my own Gentoo
2 >> subproject.
3 >> If a prefix based approach is implemented, I think I will have to switch
5 >> Fink or DarwinPorts, where at least exist a _fixed_ prefix, where I can
6 >> depend upon.
7 >
8 > two things:
9 > 1) if (and only if) the Gentoo for OS X installer allows you to set the
10 > prefix, then nothing prevents you from setting it to /, IMHO,
11 > resulting in the situation as now.
12 > 2) if the Gentoo for OS X installer doesn't allows you to set it, the
13 > prefix location will in practise be as fixed as for DarwinPorts and
14 > Fink.
17 Not really.
18 If 1) is implemented, I cannot be sure that all users have / as their
19 prefix, which means all packages which are dependent upon others (like in
20 my frontend idea) have to add additional logic to actually find the items
21 they depend upon. This means more work in implementing and maintaining.
22 If 2) is implemented, I am not better than in DarwinPorts, but in
23 DarwinPorts the system is implemented and works. Portage would be in a
24 state of adaption for a longer time.
25
26 > If you happen to find out how to do this properly, I would be more than
27 > willing to see whether it is possible to simply use an offset to install
28 > in, but not changing the paths within this offset (like a chroot jail),
29 > such that the packages in your union mount look for things in the main
30 > file system (i.e. "/"). Since your previous results have proven to be
31 > interesting, but not fully covering (eg. global union mount), in the
32 > meanwhile we keep on working on the prefix.
33
34 Fine with me.
35
36 Regards