From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:22:55
1 On 15-12-2005 00:36:31 +0100, Dirk Schnberger wrote:
2 > > I'm sure that no one would object if you decided to head up your own
3 > > "Darwin Portage" project, as there would be some overlap.
4
5 It's a matter of priorities, and the prefix support is higer in the list
6 than Darwin Portage.
7
8 > I don't think I have the time or will to implement my own Gentoo subproject.
9 > If a prefix based approach is implemented, I think I will have to switch to
10 > Fink or DarwinPorts, where at least exist a _fixed_ prefix, where I can
11 > depend upon.
12
13 two things:
14 1) if (and only if) the Gentoo for OS X installer allows you to set the
15 prefix, then nothing prevents you from setting it to /, IMHO,
16 resulting in the situation as now.
17 2) if the Gentoo for OS X installer doesn't allows you to set it, the
18 prefix location will in practise be as fixed as for DarwinPorts and
19 Fink.
20
21 > I would regret this, because I still think that Gentoo in its current form
22 > is the more "pure" approach.
23 > My ideal would still be to implement a thing like a unionfs which allows
24 > clean overriding of system level libraries.
25
26 If you happen to find out how to do this properly, I would be more than
27 willing to see whether it is possible to simply use an offset to install
28 in, but not changing the paths within this offset (like a chroot jail),
29 such that the packages in your union mount look for things in the main
30 file system (i.e. "/"). Since your previous results have proven to be
31 interesting, but not fully covering (eg. global union mount), in the
32 meanwhile we keep on working on the prefix.
36 Fabian Groffen
37 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
38 --
39 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list