From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:04:52
1 > > I would regret this, because I still think that Gentoo in its current
2 form
3 > > is the more "pure" approach.
4 > > My ideal would still be to implement a thing like a unionfs which allows
5 > > clean overriding of system level libraries.
6
7 > If you happen to find out how to do this properly, I would be more than
8 > willing to see whether it is possible to simply use an offset to install
9 > in, but not changing the paths within this offset (like a chroot jail),
10 > such that the packages in your union mount look for things in the main
11 > file system (i.e. "/"). Since your previous results have proven to be
12 > interesting, but not fully covering (eg. global union mount), in the
13 > meanwhile we keep on working on the prefix.
14
15 After googling a little around, the combination of chroot/jail and union
16 mounts seems to be a accepted solution to the global union mount problem.
17 It is used for most of the interesting virtualization / virtual server
18 setups.
19
20 What's missing is how to access such a jail from a finder started
21 application ;)
22
23 Regards
24 Dirk