From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] sci-biology stable requests
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 07:00:33
>> sci-biology (bugs 10833{2,3,4,5,7}). They basically only ask us to >> bump the stable keyword. > > Absolutely. I've more or less taken care of sci-biology on ppc-macos > since I became a dev. I'm hesistant since I'm not sure what we agreed > upon for stabling packages. Are we going to continue to support stable, > but only stable things when requested to? What are we doing in the > overlay and what are we doing in the main portage tree now?
Because an older package is stable, we are somehow forced to continue stabling newer packages if requested either via a stabling request or security issue. In the first case we have to stable to allow older ebuilds to be cleaned up, in the second we have to table in order to take advantage of the security advisory. See the "Ruby issue" email for how to deal with packages that obviously noone knows what to do with.
> Sorry if I somehow missed an e-mail detailing this;
You haven't, it was in my initial proposal. You trigger me to put this somewhere on the web for reference.