From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] USERLAND thoughts for gentoo on osx
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:27:23
On 24-08-2006 15:06:42 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
> fafhrd: anyone out there see my message on this channel yesterday? > [3:00pm] fafhrd: I'm curious about what others feel the "right" > userland for gentoo/portage on osx is > [3:00pm] fafhrd: meaning, sure, we need to deal with > USERLAND="BSD" (or "Darwin" as it were) when we bootstrap > [3:01pm] fafhrd: but, after that, can't the equivalent of `emerge > sysem -e` be run to basically free the libraries from linking against > the base system? > [3:01pm] fafhrd: anyways, this all started because the current > bootstrap-prefix script attempts to build Apple's gcc, which fails, > but gnu gcc builds fine for me > [3:02pm] fafhrd: so I'd like to get some consensus about what kind of > USERLAND we're aiming for, as I keep hacking on this stuff > [3:02pm] fafhrd: personally, I'd like to move towards building it's > own internal GNU style USERLAND > [3:02pm] fafhrd: as I have no urge to follow Apple willy nilly > [3:02pm] fafhrd: thoughts?
I assume you are on a MacTel machine, as why GCC won't build. As for the userland, yes we aim for a GNU userland, because I have the opinion that the Gentoo mainline tree is written for that userland. Diego does a great job making the tree able to cope with a BSD userland, but to avoid all these little annoyances with find, awk, etc. in prefix it is only a small effort to make it a GNU userland. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list