From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Some Introduction
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:20:40
On Aug 16, 2005, at 1:14 AM, Stroller wrote:

> > Sorry to come to this so late - I'm just back from holiday. > > On Aug 8, 2005, at 6:38 am, Kito wrote: >> >> Maybe you misunderstood, what I think is futile is trying to avoid >> overwriting files, and accommodating things portage has no >> knowledge of or control over. > > Unless you avoid over-writing Mac OS's system files Gentoo-OSX will > never become mainstream. I don't know if this is of interest to you > or not, but I for one will never install Gentoo-OSX unless it > installs safely into an /opt (or similar) directory - overwriting > Apple's system files is _bound_ to break something eventually.
Yeah, again I'm not saying overwriting files is the way to go. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be on that. I'm saying installing things to / and trying to avoid overwriting files is not a good idea. So, again, just to make sure I'm being understood, installing to an alternate prefix, i.e. /gentoo, /usr/local, /opt, whatever, is the way to go and make portage a viable tool for OS X users. As Finn pointed out in earlier mails, not using a prefix like Fink and DarwinPorts was never a strategic decision, but a practical one. Its all that portage knew how to do. Now, as far as portage having knowledge about what software is installed...if it lived in its own prefix, that wouldn't be an issue, as all package dependencies would be handled and installed by portage, avoiding linking against OS X system libs as much as possible. This would make it possible for instance to have /gentoo on say an external drive that could be mounted and used on virtually any Mac OSX system, regardless of system updates, etc. That being said, I feel like the name for such a tool shouldn't be called 'Gentoo for OS X', as thats a very misleading name which seems to cause a lot of confusion amongst users and developers alike. A much more apt title IMHO would be 'Portage for Mac OS X', and leave the title 'Gentoo for Mac OS X' for the profiles that actually manage system files. --Kito