From: Nathan <nathan.stocks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:13:11
1 On 12/14/05, Dirk Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > > To be honest, I don't really care about the name, but I don't feel like
3 > > having huge discussions about it either. We just chose something more
4 > > sexy than /sw. Besides that, having chosen a default, doesn't mean you
5 > > need to use it. We could name it like
6 > > /Library/GentooPortageInstalledPackages, but that really looks ugly in
7 > > your paths. Luckly there is shell completion, but it still is a bit too
8 > > ugly to me.
9 > > Finally, this is just a minor side issue, that I feel is completely
10 > > irrelevant regarding the state of the project.
11 >
12 > Sorry to be obnoxious, but I think the topic is rather relevant, at least
13 > IMHO.
14 > Basically you (Gentoo for OSX) have the problem, that you have to work on a
15 > system
16 > which is not really prepared to work with a system like Gentoo.
17 >
18 > The MacOSX file system hierarchy is a mix of two subsystems.
19 >
20 > First there is its Unix heritage, i.e. the /usr, /dev, /etc, /var hierarchy,
21 > Second there is more modern "MacOS usability system" (for lack of better
22 > words).
23 > The second system has whole other assumptions about what is in a systerm.
24 > Basically you have a set of applications
25 > (as app folders), in the /Applications folder, and components which play a
26 > support role to these applications, namely the
27 > /Libary, ~/Library, /System/Library hierarchy.
28 >
29 > Additionally at least the Mac default system is implemented so that the Unix
30 > hierarchy is hidden, i.e. not visible from the GUI system
31 > (finder)
32 >
33 > Conceptionally Gentoo belongs more to the Unix hierarchy, basically it tries
34 > to supplant a the static Mac Unix subsystem by a more dynamic,
35 > package managed system. Most (or at least currently all) of these packages
36 > are not suitable to a GUI system.
37 >
38 > So they should not be part of the second file system items.
39 >
40 > I think Gentoo should at least try to be a correct citizen on a Mac system,
41 > this includes it should honour the system assumptions.
42 >
43 > Regards
44 > Dirk
45
46 You're getting rather stuck on a tiny little issue for a system that
47 doesn't really exist yet. It's just a string! Rest assured that
48 before the final product is released the "correct" default path will
49 be selected. Until then, the system doesn't exist, and when it does,
50 you should be able to set it to whatever you want anyway, whethere
51 that's /Library/Gentoo, /opt/g2, or
52 /Volumes/usbdrive/.hidden/far_away/big/long/path/to/gentoo
53
54 ~ Nathan
57 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list