From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:03:50
1 > To be honest, I don't really care about the name, but I don't feel like
2 > having huge discussions about it either. We just chose something more
3 > sexy than /sw. Besides that, having chosen a default, doesn't mean you
4 > need to use it. We could name it like
5 > /Library/GentooPortageInstalledPackages, but that really looks ugly in
6 > your paths. Luckly there is shell completion, but it still is a bit too
7 > ugly to me.
8 > Finally, this is just a minor side issue, that I feel is completely
9 > irrelevant regarding the state of the project.
10
11 Sorry to be obnoxious, but I think the topic is rather relevant, at least
12 IMHO.
13 Basically you (Gentoo for OSX) have the problem, that you have to work on a
14 system
15 which is not really prepared to work with a system like Gentoo.
16
17 The MacOSX file system hierarchy is a mix of two subsystems.
18
19 First there is its Unix heritage, i.e. the /usr, /dev, /etc, /var hierarchy,
20 Second there is more modern "MacOS usability system" (for lack of better
21 words).
22 The second system has whole other assumptions about what is in a systerm.
23 Basically you have a set of applications
24 (as app folders), in the /Applications folder, and components which play a
25 support role to these applications, namely the
26 /Libary, ~/Library, /System/Library hierarchy.
27
28 Additionally at least the Mac default system is implemented so that the Unix
29 hierarchy is hidden, i.e. not visible from the GUI system
30 (finder)
31
32 Conceptionally Gentoo belongs more to the Unix hierarchy, basically it tries
33 to supplant a the static Mac Unix subsystem by a more dynamic,
34 package managed system. Most (or at least currently all) of these packages
35 are not suitable to a GUI system.
36
37 So they should not be part of the second file system items.
38
39 I think Gentoo should at least try to be a correct citizen on a Mac system,
40 this includes it should honour the system assumptions.
41
42 Regards
43 Dirk
49 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list