From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:38:24
1 On Jul 31, 2005, at 03:09, Philipp Riegger wrote:
4 > On 31. Jul 2005, at 6:34 Uhr, Kito wrote:
7 >>> and the 'progressive' profile (a free-for-all overwrite-whatever-
8 >>> you-want policy).
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> the progressive profile is anything but a 'free-for-all'. Its
12 >> primary purpose is setting up the environment required to build
13 >> the Darwin OS. Nothing that gets installed in a default
14 >> configuration will break OS X. I use what are arguably the most
15 >> demanding apps available for OS X(shake, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro,
16 >> etc.), and have been for almost a year now without any ill side
17 >> effects from using the progressive profile.
20 > I did not understand. If i install something, that already exists,
21 > for example cvs or sed or bash, that replaces my OS X files ind
22 > there is no way to go back, isn't it? I don't want to use two
23 > "distros", fink and gentoo-osx, so if i try it i want to try all
24 > packages i need, then try to solve problems as good as i can, but
25 > when i realise, that i cannot work with it, i want to get rid of it
26 > and return to fink, which i'm not happy with but which is usable.
27
28 Using the default (collision-protect) profile, packages that will
29 overwrite apple-provided files are masked (disabled). If you want to
30 install these packages[1] (bash, cvs), you'll need to use the
31 'progressive' profile to overwrite apple-provided files.
32
33 Hopefully that's more clear.
34
35 - Hasan
36
37 [1] There are exceptions to the rule: GNU sed, for example, is
38 required by some ebuilds. When you 'emerge sed' on a collision-
39 protect profile, you're actually installing the binary to '/usr/bin/
40 gsed' instead of '/usr/bin/sed'. When portage calls sed, it's
41 actually using gsed (this is facilitated by way of bash's aliasing,
42 so this may not apply for subshells).
46 Hasan Khalil
47 eBuild and Porting Co-Lead
48 Gentoo for Mac OS X

PGP.sig application/pgp-signature