From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:38:24
On Jul 31, 2005, at 03:09, Philipp Riegger wrote:

> > On 31. Jul 2005, at 6:34 Uhr, Kito wrote: > > >>> and the 'progressive' profile (a free-for-all overwrite-whatever- >>> you-want policy). >>> >> >> the progressive profile is anything but a 'free-for-all'. Its >> primary purpose is setting up the environment required to build >> the Darwin OS. Nothing that gets installed in a default >> configuration will break OS X. I use what are arguably the most >> demanding apps available for OS X(shake, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, >> etc.), and have been for almost a year now without any ill side >> effects from using the progressive profile. >> > > I did not understand. If i install something, that already exists, > for example cvs or sed or bash, that replaces my OS X files ind > there is no way to go back, isn't it? I don't want to use two > "distros", fink and gentoo-osx, so if i try it i want to try all > packages i need, then try to solve problems as good as i can, but > when i realise, that i cannot work with it, i want to get rid of it > and return to fink, which i'm not happy with but which is usable.
Using the default (collision-protect) profile, packages that will overwrite apple-provided files are masked (disabled). If you want to install these packages[1] (bash, cvs), you'll need to use the 'progressive' profile to overwrite apple-provided files. Hopefully that's more clear. - Hasan [1] There are exceptions to the rule: GNU sed, for example, is required by some ebuilds. When you 'emerge sed' on a collision- protect profile, you're actually installing the binary to '/usr/bin/ gsed' instead of '/usr/bin/sed'. When portage calls sed, it's actually using gsed (this is facilitated by way of bash's aliasing, so this may not apply for subshells). -- Hasan Khalil eBuild and Porting Co-Lead Gentoo for Mac OS X

File name MIME type
PGP.sig application/pgp-signature