From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: Prefix tree locaiton
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:18:57
On 17-08-2006 13:25:14 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:

(you don't know me, but I DO feel aquintanced with you, hahahaha ...

> Hi, all. I've just subscribed to the list, after chatting with > people on #gentoo-osx. I'm *fervently* excited about getting portage- > prefix on gentoo-osx to a stable level. IMHO, fink has had it's > glory days, and darwinports seems both stable, and incredibly > terrible at the same time.
> > So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around > > and their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily > > pull the svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting > > patches every now and then to include them on the main tree? > > If you have a local svn trunk that looks like > trunk/Adir > trunk/Bdir > trunk/Cdir > then you can do something like the following: > cd trunk > svn propedit svn:externals A > (editor opens) > dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir svn:// > trunk > (save, close editor) > svn update > ls Adir > ./Adir/dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir > ... and the code in that external trunk will be in that named > directory inside Adir.
Heu... ehm. Ok, I guess this shows it can easily be done with svn, so that's great!
> What this /doesn't/ let you do is commit back to the external (unless > you actually had authenticated access). But, gratuitous use of svn > diff could be used to submit patches.
Of course. In CVS I can imagine that CVS just merges all updates all the time. With git I know you can have your own local commits, so my idea was basically like this. Not ideal for non-gentoo devs, but I think that's the easiest way for now to get the work contributed and in the main tree.
> Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled > portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then > "official" devs could update the diffs themselves.
In the spirit of the much criticised Sunrise, I wouldn't really "care" if someone set up a central repo where non-devs commit their stuff in, and that I periodically pull over all changes. I have the bandwith available to host it myself (would make it even easier to do the sync I suppose) but not the machine at the moment. (Need to do a lot of painting etc. anyway too, so I can't set it up soon.) I'd be very very very happy if we could get some movement here, so if you folks can start, please do! I will help wherever that is possible. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: Prefix tree locaiton Armando Di Cianno <armando@××××××××.net>
RE: [gentoo-osx] Re: Prefix tree locaiton Christopher Chan <cchan@×××××××××××.com>