From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:45:57
On Sep 3, 2005, at 04:14, Grobian wrote:

> My opinion here is that there is something wrong if portage isn't > able to tell what it needs to run a package in ~ppc-macos. Maybe > this is not easily fixable, and should we do some extra hacks to > make the two worlds play nice again. However, I don't think having > a fully ~arch system is equal to a user that runs a stable system > and wants to grab one package from the unstable branch.
We feel that you are absolutely correct here, and that a fundamental capability of portage is to be able to tell _exactly_ what is necessary in order to build/install/use a package. Unfortunately, portage makes several assumptions in this process, and not all of these assumptions are valid for the ppc-macos/~ppc-macos mixed case. As a solution, we feel as though it's high time that the ppc-macos (stable) keyword is dropped entirely, in favor of ~ppc-macos (testing), tree-wide. This would obviously solve the problem detailed by Fabian above. There are several reasons that we feel this is a good idea, and long overdue: * We don't have the manpower to fix, maintain or keep up with a stable branch. * The project is just too young, with too many fundamental (read: system packages) aspects changing too frequently to keep up with a stable branch without constantly breaking the 30-days-without-bugs- before-stable 'rule'. * Even the 'stable' branch frequently breaks (read: compile-time or run-time errors in various packages), currently. * Did we mention that we don't have enough manpower to fix, maintain or keep up with a stable branch? * We don't have a large enough user-base to justify bumping packages from testing to stable by just waiting for the 30-days- without-bugs-before-stable timeout to expire (this point was previously discussed on this mailing list). * Oh yeah, the manpower thing. * As it is, we currently (or at the very least have, in the past, and will, in the future) needlessly hold up older versions of various packages from being removed from the portage tree because there is no later version that has been marked ppc-macos (stable). * No, really, we just don't have the manpower to fix, maintain or keep up with a stable branch. In summary, we wish to extend a notion[1] that was previously mentioned on this list, and put forth that we should immediately replace all instances of the ppc-macos (stable) keyword in KEYWORDS with ~ppc-macos (testing). So what's the verdict? - Hasan && Lina [1] That is, to hold off bumping packages from testing to stable. See "On keywording ppc-macos", a thread started by Fabian Groffen on this list. -- Hasan Khalil && Lina Pezzella eBuild and Porting Co-Leads Gentoo for Mac OS X

File name MIME type
PGP.sig application/pgp-signature

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>