From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Re: EAPI 5
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 12:10:32
Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2012, 11:16:25 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
> On Tue, 1 May 2012 11:01:57 +0200 > > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote: > > Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2012, 10:38:41 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh: > > > > Well. PMS describes the files in a profile directory. If > > > > * we introduce a new file via PMS that was not in there before, > > > > * and another package manager accesses that file but expects > > > > different information there not corresponding to our new > > > > definition, that package manager should be considered broken > > > > because it is not adhering to previous PMS revisions. So? > > > > > > What happens if a user uses an EAPI 4 ebuild with an EAPI 4 package > > > manager when the ebuild in question would be hit by your new files, > > > which the package manager doesn't know about yet? > > > > Err, nothing? The useflags remain available and switchable as before, > > no difference regarding useflags between stable / not stable? > > What is the impact of this, then? Does it mean users will start to see > lots of "masked" errors that they should not be seeing?
If * the ebuild is <= EAPI 4 * the ebuild is listed in package.stable.use.(mask|force) then it will be possible to enable/disable features in the stable variant that are not really deemed suitable for a "stable package" yet. All quality requirements from ~arch remain, meaning also the use flag combinations should lead to a successful build and a reasonably working package. Also, the stable ebuild will then eventually depend on non-stable packages, which is bad. Thus, I would strongly recommend that this situation is treated as a blocker for stabilization (either upgrade EAPI or modify the package.stable.use.(mask| force) entry so it does not apply to this ebuild). Repoman could prevent such a commit. It might make sense to go even further and write explicitly that package.stable.use.(mask|force) entries must not resolve to any <= EAPI 4 ebuilds. Unfortunately there is no automatic repoman check during commits in the profile dirs which could prevent it. -- Andreas K. Huettel Gentoo Linux developer dilfridge@g.o