From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Mention xargs?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 06:07:30
1 >>>>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
2
3 >> When preparing the list of EAPI 5 features for the upcoming council
4 >> meeting, I noticed that the eapi-5 branch mentions only GNU find
5 >> [1] whereas the corresponding bug mentions both find and xargs [2].
6 >>
7 >> Shouldn't we mention xargs, too?
8
9 > Usually I see xargs used as 'find <somestuff> | xargs <dosomething>'
10 > which can easily be handled by find alone. So, not sure we want to
11 > mandate xargs at all.
12
13 Well, xargs is mandated by POSIX, so it will be present in the system
14 anyway. So we'd better make sure that the implementations of find and
15 xargs match.
16
17 This would also agree with current practice. For example, the
18 following is done in profiles/default/bsd/fbsd/profile.bashrc:
19
20 type -P gfind > /dev/null && alias find=gfind
21 type -P gxargs > /dev/null && alias xargs=gxargs
22
23 Another small issue, the package isn't named "find" but "findutils":
24 <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commit;h=6a95dae3fa6b8a6307f5d02c09dc550f1fbe97f2>
25
26 Ulrich