From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Mention xargs?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 23:09:18
1 On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:07:15 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
5 >
6 > >> When preparing the list of EAPI 5 features for the upcoming council
7 > >> meeting, I noticed that the eapi-5 branch mentions only GNU find
8 > >> [1] whereas the corresponding bug mentions both find and xargs [2].
9 > >>
10 > >> Shouldn't we mention xargs, too?
11 >
12 > > Usually I see xargs used as 'find <somestuff> | xargs <dosomething>'
13 > > which can easily be handled by find alone. So, not sure we want to
14 > > mandate xargs at all.
15 >
16 > Well, xargs is mandated by POSIX, so it will be present in the system
17 > anyway. So we'd better make sure that the implementations of find and
18 > xargs match.
19 >
20 > This would also agree with current practice. For example, the
21 > following is done in profiles/default/bsd/fbsd/profile.bashrc:
22 >
23 > type -P gfind > /dev/null && alias find=gfind
24 > type -P gxargs > /dev/null && alias xargs=gxargs
25 >
26 > Another small issue, the package isn't named "find" but "findutils":
27 > <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commit;h=6a95dae3fa6b8a6307f5d02c09dc550f1fbe97f2>
28 >
29 > Ulrich
32 I see where you are coming from, however, the first thing that comes to
33 mind is, there should be a paragraph in the devmanual "useless use of
34 xargs" as there is for cat.
35
36 Ralph