From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 06:35:53
1 >>>>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014, David Leverton wrote:
2
3 > If, for example, we make subversion an IUSE_RUNTIME flag of git, and
4 > some other package depends on dev-vcs/git[-subversion], and the user
5 > has the subversion flag disabled for git but happens to have
6 > subversion installed anyway, should the dependency be considered
7 > satisfied (in which case it's fairly pointless)? Or does it
8 > magically get treated like a blocker on dev-vcs/subversion?
9
10 It should be treated like a regular USE flag for dependency
11 resolution. So in your example, the dependency would be satisfied.
12
13 More interesting example: Some other package could depend on
14 dev-vcs/git[-perl]. "perl" is a regular USE flag in git, but is has
15 "subversion? ( perl )" in REQUIRED_USE. Therefore dev-vcs/git[-perl]
16 is effectively equivalent to dev-vcs/git[-perl,-subversion]. However,
17 the restrictions in current GLEP 62 don't cover this case.
18
19 > (I realise that git-svn has more deps than just subversion itself,
20 > but it's just an example. :-P)
21
22 > Similar logic would suggest that "!flag ( ... )" in the package's
23 > own dependencies should also be disallowed.
24
25 Your arguments are valid, but they apply to regular USE flags, too.
26 So I fail to see why we would need special treatment for runtime
27 switchable flags here.
28
29 If necessary, we can always impose additional restrictions by tree
30 policy (as we do for "noblah" flags, for example), but I'd rather not
31 restrict what the package manager can do. Especially, if we can simply
32 go with normal USE flag logic in one case, but need special casing for
33 runtime flags in the other case.
34
35 Ulrich