From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:44:03
1 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > - Do we really need all these restrictions for ebuilds listed in [3]?
3 > Especially, restricting possible USE dependencies will complicate
4 > the spec, and I don't see the benefit of such a restriction.
5
6 If, for example, we make subversion an IUSE_RUNTIME flag of git, and
7 some other package depends on dev-vcs/git[-subversion], and the user has
8 the subversion flag disabled for git but happens to have subversion
9 installed anyway, should the dependency be considered satisfied (in
10 which case it's fairly pointless)? Or does it magically get treated
11 like a blocker on dev-vcs/subversion?
12
13 (I realise that git-svn has more deps than just subversion itself, but
14 it's just an example. :-P)
15
16 Similar logic would suggest that "!flag ( ... )" in the package's own
17 dependencies should also be disallowed.
18
19 See also http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=134030581716793&w=2 and replies.