From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Write to filesystem in pkg_* phases
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:58:12
1 Dnia 2014-06-15, o godz. 14:45:07
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 09:53:02 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > It is the spec's fault when it sets stupid and mismatched
7 > > requirements. As long as we don't restrict pkg_* phases from calling
8 > > external tools, prohibiting writes to temporary directory is just
9 > > pointless. Every semi-sane system has a writable temporary directory
10 > > that can be used freely by random programs, and so shall ebuild
11 > > environment have.
12 >
13 > But ${T} has to point somewhere special...
14
15 But ${TMPDIR} doesn't.
16
17 > > As for pkg_pretend(), I don't have a strong opinion whether it should
18 > > be added to use external tools. However, prohibiting that would limit
19 > > its use a lot. As for remaining pkg_*() phases, I think such
20 > > prohibition would simply make the phases purposeless.
21 >
22 > But it can't rely upon external tools being present, and if they are
23 > present, they can't be relied upon to work (have their dependencies
24 > installed).
25
26 It can rely on base system tools being present since that's what PMS
27 requires. It relies on bash being present in particular, and bash can
28 use temporarily files too.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny