From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Write to filesystem in pkg_* phases
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:45:16
1 On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 09:53:02 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > It is the spec's fault when it sets stupid and mismatched
4 > requirements. As long as we don't restrict pkg_* phases from calling
5 > external tools, prohibiting writes to temporary directory is just
6 > pointless. Every semi-sane system has a writable temporary directory
7 > that can be used freely by random programs, and so shall ebuild
8 > environment have.
9
10 But ${T} has to point somewhere special...
11
12 > As for pkg_pretend(), I don't have a strong opinion whether it should
13 > be added to use external tools. However, prohibiting that would limit
14 > its use a lot. As for remaining pkg_*() phases, I think such
15 > prohibition would simply make the phases purposeless.
16
17 But it can't rely upon external tools being present, and if they are
18 present, they can't be relied upon to work (have their dependencies
19 installed).
22 Ciaran McCreesh