From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:06:43
1 >>>>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > "-foo@" or "-foo%" are also possible but that's a poor man's
4 > workaround for current syntax ugliness.
5
6 We cannot use @ because it's a legal character in flag names.
7
8 > The real alternative is:
9
10 > <use>
11 > <flag name="foo" default="off" runtime="yes"/>
12 > </use>
13
14 > :P
15
16 Wrong mailing list, and more than 10 years late: :)
17 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.zynot.general/4
18
19 > Of course, your arguments are valid, so we can pretty much use the
20 > simpler version in the PMS. Even then, most points listed verbosely
21 > in GLEP would be implied, so we could do the checks.
22
23 My feeling is that our present rules for IUSE_EFFECTIVE and
24 IUSE_REFERENCEABLE are already complicated enough. The package
25 manager should treat runtime switchable flags as normal USE flags,
26 except when deciding if a package should be rebuilt.
27
28 What we add on top of this as tree policy (repoman etc.) is another
29 issue.
30
31 Ulrich