From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 12:15:18
1 Dnia 2014-06-25, o godz. 12:15:04
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Hi,
5 > The council has approved runtime-switchable USE flags [1,2] for
6 > EAPI 6. Several questions arise:
7 >
8 > - If we introduce the feature with an EAPI, we need not care about
9 > backwards compatibility. It would be possible to mark runtime
10 > switchable flags by some syntax in IUSE, instead of introducing
11 > a new variable like IUSE_RUNTIME.
12 >
13 > So far, "%-foo", "@-foo", "*foo", and "foo*" have been suggested as
14 > syntax. I don't like the first two because they don't look so nice
15 > when combined with "+" or "-" IUSE defaults; mgorny doesn't like the
16 > last two because they look like wildcards. Some bikeshedding for the
17 > syntax is needed.
18
19 "-foo@" or "-foo%" are also possible but that's a poor man's workaround
20 for current syntax ugliness. The real alternative is:
21
22 <use>
23 <flag name="foo" default="off" runtime="yes"/>
24 </use>
25
26 :P
27
28 > - Do we really need all these restrictions for ebuilds listed in [3]?
29 > Especially, restricting possible USE dependencies will complicate
30 > the spec, and I don't see the benefit of such a restriction.
31
32 The specific rules in GLEP were intended to allow catching mistakes
33 easily. It's easy to make repoman complain when it sees runtime flag
34 in SRC_URI or portage to complain when 'use' is queried using a runtime
35 flag.
36
37 > - Why would we restrict referencing the flags in phase functions?
38 > For example, I would consider something like the following in
39 > pkg_postinst() a valid use case:
40 >
41 > use foo || elog "For foo support, install package app-misc/foo"
42
43 I'm not really convinced by this. Once we add the runtime USE flag to
44 pull foo, I'd rather say we ought not to tell people to install packages
45 manually. But telling them that a particular flag controls something
46 should be fine... though it should be noted that we won't be able to
47 output another message afterwards.
48
49 > Instead, I suggest that we simply say "runtime switchable flags must
50 > not have any effect on the files installed by the ebuild".
51
52 Of course, your arguments are valid, so we can pretty much use
53 the simpler version in the PMS. Even then, most points listed verbosely
54 in GLEP would be implied, so we could do the checks.
55
56 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:62
57 > [2] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4194219.html#4194219
58 > [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:62#Specification