From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Rephrasing *DEPEND
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 06:34:23
1 On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:36:04 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:21:02 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > And the third version.
7 > >
8 > > I added a note about the possible circular RDEPEND issue. I wanted
9 > > to do that through a footnote but wasn't able to get it working so
10 > > it's a standard bracket now).
11 >
12 > I still don't think we should be specifying "RDEPEND is PDEPEND if the
13 > package manager feels like it". That's something for the package
14 > mangler to provide as a horrible --ignore-dependencies-to-break-cycles
15 > option.
16
17 We either have to mention that or assume the long-outstanding portage
18 behavior is not PMS compliant. And even if we choose the latter option,
19 I think we should have a footnote warning about that there.
20
21 > Also, isn't pkg_setup the same as pkg_preinst, availability-wise?
22
23 IMO not necessarily. During later pkg_* phases, RDEPEND needs to be
24 satisfied in order to make it possible to call the installed program. I
25 don't really see a reason to make similar assumptions in pkg_setup, and
26 I'd really like to avoid saying 'RDEPEND is for program's runtime
27 dependencies and pkg_setup dependencies'.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny