From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Proposal: pre-emerge advisories
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:05:43
1 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 July 2005 16:40, Craig Lawson wrote:
3 > > What I'd like to see *before* I upgrade is a list of advisories about
4 > > what trouble I'm in for.
5 >
6 > How about the ChangeLog?
7
8 That would be a great answer. I look for trips and traps by doing an
9 `emerge --pretend --verbose --changelog` every time I sync.
10 Unfortunately, changes are often made with no entry in the log. When
11 some change has significant effects, it is rare that even a passing
12 mention is made regarding the precautions and prerequisites. I'm not
13 suggesting yelling-at-the-user style "*** DANGER WILL ROBINSON ***"
14 messages, but the terse kind suggested in Mr. Lawson's first message
15 would be dandy.
16
17 > You're on the wrong list for this. The thread should be on
18 > gentoo-dev@g.o.
19
20 What he was requesting, additional capability for Portage, probably
21 belonged here. On the other hand, a discussion on how to convince devs
22 to make use of the existing capabilities would probably be welcome on
23 gentoo-dev or, perhaps, gentoo-qa.
26 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
27 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
28 -- "Ghost in the Shell", Shirow Masamune