From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Suggestion: Backup option in make.conf
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 04:40:27
1 On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 06:28:53AM +0200, Rafael Fern?ndez L?pez wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > My suggestion for portage is: when you do an "emerge -vuD world", you
4 > have to work at the end of the emerging with the /etc config files and
5 > see the differences to know if you want to overwrite file by file or
6 > not.
7 > Well, what I want is to have a backup of all them (one backup, and
8 > only one). For that goal, it can be used a new option in make.conf
9 > like "backup_etc_files=yes" if you want to turn this on.
10 > By turning this on, an "emerge -vuD world" can be done in one shot, I
11 > mean, you can do an emerge -vuD world, and all the files could be
12 > replaced (overwrited) by the new ones (etc-update), but you'll be able
13 > to access to your backups if anything is wrong, so you don't have to
14 > go file by file looking at the differences between them.
15 > I suggest to name them "whatever.conf" (our original file) ==>
16 > "whatever.conf.backup" (our backuped file)
17 This breaks down pretty quickly... a peacemeal pam upgrade, for
18 example can result in you locked out of your system.
19
20 Baselayout updates to /etc/passwd can accomplish the same thing, and
21 not accounting for /etc/fstab resulting in an unbootable system...
22 ~harring