From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] New file layout for PKGDIR and binhosts
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:02:18
1 Il 24/12/2014 09:13, Zac Medico ha scritto:
2 >> I like this (and it has been a long time coming). What format are we
3 >> > going to store the metadata of the use flag combinations and the rest?
4 > The current approach is to store the data in an xpak segment that is
5 > appended to the end of the tbz2 file. The $PKGDIR/Packages files serves
6 > as a cache for the essential parts of the xpak data that are used in
7 > dependency calculations.
8 >
9 I'd like to see the xpak data being put in it's own file at the
10 _beginning_ of the tar file.
11
12 tar -Jcf \
13 ${PKGDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PN}/${PF}-${COUNTER}.xpak \
14 tmp/${CATEGORY}:${PN}:${PF}-${COUNTER}.xpak \
15 *all_the_other_stuff*
16
17 this way reading it could be faster on some media and filesystem and it
18 would not deviate from the standard tar.
19 Being in /tmp/ is only for commodity but the place is debatable.
20 Instead the fact it _must_ be the first file it's not, in a sequential
21 archive file like tar some things depend on it.
22
23 seem to be the right time to do the change, since tool need to be
24 rewritten anyway, but I'll leave to you analyze the fallout of this change.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Francesco Riosa