From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] New file layout for PKGDIR and binhosts
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 08:14:04
1 On 12/23/2014 09:16 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > I like this (and it has been a long time coming). What format are we
3 > going to store the metadata of the use flag combinations and the rest?
4
5 The current approach is to store the data in an xpak segment that is
6 appended to the end of the tbz2 file. The $PKGDIR/Packages files serves
7 as a cache for the essential parts of the xpak data that are used in
8 dependency calculations.
9
10 > I guess that's already stored since portage knows not to use binpkgs if
11 > those change.
12 >
13 > Also, would this change be a good time to change to store that metadata
14 > externally?
15
16 That's why we have the $PKGDIR/Packages cache, which is validated using
17 stat.st_size and stat.st_mtime
18
19 > Running portage over NFS with binpkgs takes forever, I
20
21 It's probably all of the readdir and stat calls. If we simply assumed
22 that $PKGDIR/Packages was valid, we could eliminate the readdir and stat
23 calls. Binhost clients operate under this assumption.
24
25 > don't think a binhost makes it faster either. If there were some way to
26 > get all the info for the binpkgs into one file (so it could be run on
27 > cron or something), this could mean that I'd only have to do one file
28 > request for all that metadata and would be much quicker than inspecting
29 > all those files.
30
31 That's what $PKGDIR/Packages is.
32 --