From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: parallel-fetch
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:02:42
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:09:10PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 15 December 2005 20:06, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:41:22PM -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
4 > > <snip comments on parent emerge not killing child emerge>
5 > >
6 > > > Either way, here's the issue, atexit registers work fine across forks,
7 > > > portage.portagexit is registered prior to portage_exec.cleanup, so the
8 > > > main portage pid sits there and waits for the kids to go away on their
9 > > > own, then portage_exec.cleanup tries waxing the pids.
10 >
11 > Ok.. After a few reads, I finally figured out what you're saying here.
12
13 Yeah... email to ml was just a quick update from what I tracked down
14 in irc, didn't realize the email was damn near unreadable till a while
15 after it was sent (and no one had commented).
16
17 > > This is the only blocker for merging parallel-fetch as far as I can
18 > > tell- so... my vote is nuking the wait out of portage.portageexit
19 > > (it's exec subsystem crap, belong in exec's atexit (where it exists)).
20 > > Assuming no complaints there, issues with parallel-fetch going into
21 > > svn?
22 >
23 > Nuking the wait is fine if things will still work the same.. I'm kind of
24 > wondering if ctrl-c'ing behaviour will change - how gets the ctrl-c first?
25
26 ctrl-c doesn't come in play here- just triggers exithandler, which
27 calls portageexit. What's stupid about this code is that exithandler
28 has it's *own* set of kill calls in it (nothing like 101 duplicated
29 bits).
30
31 Either way... exit, or nothing left to execute, python will then
32 trigger atexit registered callbacks in a lifo manner. So all
33 exithandler really _should_ have to do is just sys.exit.
34 ~harring