From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
Cc: "gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] distfiles in overlays?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:38:46
1 On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 12:29:01 +0000
2 Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > Sometimes I have to move files from my layman overlays distfiles to /usr/portage/distfiles
5 > in orders to rebuild older stuff not in gentoo anymore.
6 >
7 > Should not emerge search in distfiles where the ebuild resides?
8
9 distfiles are not part of repository. The /usr/portage/distfiles path
10 is just wrong and you shouldn't be using it.
11
12 > What about eclass? What is the search order here?
13
14 It follows masters. First the repository with ebuild. If it's not
15 there, it looks through all masters, then their masters etc.
16
17 > If I got a customized user.eclass in my overlay, can I have this eclass take
18 > precedence over the one in /usr/portage/eclass ?
19
20 Yes. 'man 5 portage', look for eclass-overrides. Note that this will
21 effectively discard metadata cache and therefore make stuff slow after
22 syncing .
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny
27 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>