From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: "mgorny@g.o" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] distfiles in overlays?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 16:51:25
1 On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 13:38 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 12:29:01 +0000
3 > Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Sometimes I have to move files from my layman overlays distfiles to /usr/portage/distfiles
6 > > in orders to rebuild older stuff not in gentoo anymore.
7 > >
8 > > Should not emerge search in distfiles where the ebuild resides?
9 >
10 > distfiles are not part of repository. The /usr/portage/distfiles path
11 > is just wrong and you shouldn't be using it.
12
13 I am not "using" it, emerge does so by default. It would be nice if portage tried
14 distfiles in the overlay it found the ebuild in or if one could configure which distfiles
15 to use in repos.conf. Makes it much easier to keep track of different source files
16 and then storing then in a git repo so one can find them after they are gone from gentoo.
19 > > What about eclass? What is the search order here?
20 >
21 > It follows masters. First the repository with ebuild. If it's not
22 > there, it looks through all masters, then their masters etc.
23 >
24 > > If I got a customized user.eclass in my overlay, can I have this eclass take
25 > > precedence over the one in /usr/portage/eclass ?
26 >
27 > Yes. 'man 5 portage', look for eclass-overrides. Note that this will
28 > effectively discard metadata cache and therefore make stuff slow after
29 > syncing .
30
31 OK, thanks.
32