From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Inherit updates settings from master repositories by default
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 08:03:07
1 On Saturday, February 01, 2014 20:38:05 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
2 wrote:
3 > Suggested behavior:
4 > - Support for new 'updates-masters' attribute in metadata/layout.conf.
5
6 makes sense
7
8 > If this attribute is not set explicitly, then it defaults to value of
9 > 'masters' attribute.
10
11 this i'm not so sure about. when you have a local overlay, portage complains
12 when there are no masters which means most people have just blindly added
13 "masters = gentoo". but if they have packages in there using the old name (on
14 purpose), then updates will constantly tromp on that.
15
16 at least, there should be one of:
17 - one-time automatic migration of existing layout.conf files where we set
18 "updates-master =" for them.
19 - a warning phase where we complain if the field isn't set, and we default to
20 current behavior. once some time has elapsed, we stop warning and we change
21 the default.
22 -mike