From: Sebastian Luther <SebastianLuther@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Inherit updates settings from master repositories by default
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 18:11:15
1 Am 05.02.2014 09:03, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
2 > On Saturday, February 01, 2014 20:38:05 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
3 > Arahesis wrote:
4 >
5 > this i'm not so sure about. when you have a local overlay, portage
6 > complains when there are no masters which means most people have
7 > just blindly added "masters = gentoo". but if they have packages
8 > in there using the old name (on purpose), then updates will
9 > constantly tromp on that.
10
11 The old behavior was to always apply the updates from ::gentoo as long
12 as the repo didn't have its own updates. This means it doesn't matter
13 if the repo sets the "masters = gentoo" as long as it doesn't contain
14 updates.
17 > at least, there should be one of: - one-time automatic migration of
18 > existing layout.conf files where we set "updates-master =" for
19 > them.
20
21 How do you know if it's the user's repo or a layman repo, where
22 layout.conf is manged by other people?
23
24 > - a warning phase where we complain if the field isn't set, and we
25 > default to current behavior. once some time has elapsed, we stop
26 > warning and we change the default.
27
28 Be sure to only hit users which are really affected by the change
29 (i.e. repos with existing updates and master repos which contain
30 updates, which affect packages in the repo).
31
32 > -mike