From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Inherit updates settings from master repositories by default
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:06:29
1 On Wednesday, February 05, 2014 19:11:12 Sebastian Luther wrote:
2 > Am 05.02.2014 09:03, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
3 > > On Saturday, February 01, 2014 20:38:05 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
4 > > Arahesis wrote:
5 > >
6 > > this i'm not so sure about. when you have a local overlay, portage
7 > > complains when there are no masters which means most people have
8 > > just blindly added "masters = gentoo". but if they have packages
9 > > in there using the old name (on purpose), then updates will
10 > > constantly tromp on that.
11 >
12 > The old behavior was to always apply the updates from ::gentoo as long
13 > as the repo didn't have its own updates. This means it doesn't matter
14 > if the repo sets the "masters = gentoo" as long as it doesn't contain
15 > updates.
16
17 ok, i thought it always ignored the gentoo updates dir
18
19 > > at least, there should be one of: - one-time automatic migration of
20 > > existing layout.conf files where we set "updates-master =" for
21 > > them.
22 >
23 > How do you know if it's the user's repo or a layman repo, where
24 > layout.conf is manged by other people?
25
26 you ask layman. this isn't difficult.
27
28 > > - a warning phase where we complain if the field isn't set, and we
29 > > default to current behavior. once some time has elapsed, we stop
30 > > warning and we change the default.
31 >
32 > Be sure to only hit users which are really affected by the change
33 > (i.e. repos with existing updates and master repos which contain
34 > updates, which affect packages in the repo).
35
36 doing it based on the current set of affected packages doens't make sense then
37 the set of possible updates is constantly changing
38 -mike