From: Sebastian Luther <SebastianLuther@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Inherit updates settings from master repositories by default
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 21:07:11
1 Am 17.02.2014 09:06, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
2 > On Wednesday, February 05, 2014 19:11:12 Sebastian Luther wrote:
3 >> Am 05.02.2014 09:03, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
4 >>> On Saturday, February 01, 2014 20:38:05 Arfrever Frehtes
5 >>> Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> this i'm not so sure about. when you have a local overlay,
8 >>> portage complains when there are no masters which means most
9 >>> people have just blindly added "masters = gentoo". but if they
10 >>> have packages in there using the old name (on purpose), then
11 >>> updates will constantly tromp on that.
12 >>
13 >> The old behavior was to always apply the updates from ::gentoo as
14 >> long as the repo didn't have its own updates. This means it
15 >> doesn't matter if the repo sets the "masters = gentoo" as long as
16 >> it doesn't contain updates.
17 >
18 > ok, i thought it always ignored the gentoo updates dir
19
20 At least that's what Arfrever wrote in the first mail as 'old
21 behavior'. I assume that's correct.
24 >>> at least, there should be one of: - one-time automatic
25 >>> migration of existing layout.conf files where we set
26 >>> "updates-master =" for them.
27 >>
28 >> How do you know if it's the user's repo or a layman repo, where
29 >> layout.conf is manged by other people?
30 >
31 > you ask layman. this isn't difficult.
32
33 layman was just an example. The user could as well have cloned a repo
34 by hand.
35
36 When you said "one-time automatic migration" I thought of an update
37 during portage installation (like it's done for other things). Do you
38 have something else in mind?
41 >>> - a warning phase where we complain if the field isn't set, and
42 >>> we default to current behavior. once some time has elapsed, we
43 >>> stop warning and we change the default.
44 >>
45 >> Be sure to only hit users which are really affected by the
46 >> change (i.e. repos with existing updates and master repos which
47 >> contain updates, which affect packages in the repo).
48 >
49 > doing it based on the current set of affected packages doens't make
50 > sense then the set of possible updates is constantly changing
51
52 It's true that it may change, but this should only happen very seldom
53 and only during the transition period.
54
55 The idea is that if you don't restrict the warning like that, you're
56 going to create a lot of noise.
57
58 > -mike
59 >