From: "René 'Necoro' Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] localization.py
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:29:13
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Marius Mauch schrieb:
5 > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 04:54:59 +0200
6 > Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <arfrever.fta@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 >> 2007-10-21 22:49:10 Marius Mauch napisał(a):
9 >>> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:23:59 -0700
10 >>> Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
11 >>>
13 >>>> Hash: SHA1
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
16 >>>>> Hello,
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> Does localization.py exist for a reason?
19 >>>>>
20 >>>> Over the years we've had a few people express a desire for
21 >>>> internationalization and localization support in portage (bugs
22 >>>> #13618, #32630, and #191189 and possible others).
23 >>>>
24 >>>> It seems like a nice idea to me, but I recall Marius being opposed
25 >>>> to the idea due to some potential problems that he was concerned
26 >>>> about. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the previous
27 >>>> discussion but maybe somebody else does.
28 >>> Probably not the one you meant, but you can find a related
29 >>> discussion on the forums:
30 >>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-500209.html
31 >> It seems that you just don't like German translation, so you could set
32 >> LC_ALL=C in make.conf.
33 >
34 > I don't have an issue with localizations on my systems (I don't
35 > use them anyway), the problem is with other people reporting bugs or
36 > asking for support posting messages we can't understand, the
37 > questionable quality of translations (as we can't really control them)
38 > potentially leading to bogus bug reports and the general added
39 > complexity. It's just my opinion that system tools simply shouldn't be
40 > localized (best example: gcc error messages).
41 >
42 > Marius
43
44 I don't know if this idea already came up: If the user choses, that he
45 wants localized messages, the original english message is printed
46 additionally (e.g. in parens). So - if the normal user pastes
47 everything, the original message is always included.
48
49 I know, that this leads to doubled output - but in most cases the output
50 is already quite a lot - so it might not hurt.
51
52 Another way could be the use of error codes: Additionally to the
53 (localized) message, an error code is printed. This way the normal
54 message is only important for the newbe user. The disadvantage is, that
55 a list of these codes has to be maintained...
56
57 Examples for codes:
58 BLOCK(>app-foo/bar-2, sys-bar/foo)
59 MASKED(app-foo/bar-2.4)
60 WRONG_DIGEST(app-foo/bar-2.4)
61 etc.
62
63 Just two fix ideas - I did not read the thread thoroughly.
64
65 Regards,
66 Necoro
75 --