From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Few things, which imho would make portage better
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:29:00
1 tvali wrote:
2 > Ok, i send a lot of them, but hopefully they're interesting :)
3 >
4 > I did research a bit about adding SQL support to portage -- as much as
5 > i see, mysql is smallest sql server, which could be emerged with
6 > python module.
7 >
8 > In beginning, i think that SQL database structure should be created,
9 > which supports basic fields from ebuilds (DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE,
10 > SRC_URI, LICENSE, SLOT, KEYWORDS, IUSE, DEPEND, RDEPEND).
11 >
12 > Then emerge --createsql command should be set up, which adds data from
13 > /usr/portage/ filetree into this sql database.
14
15 You're talking about the cache, take a look at the cache subsystem and
16 write a mysql module for it. This will never become a default though (we
17 would get killed if portage starts to depend on mysql).
18
19 > I have some questions now:
20 > * Where i could find basic ebuild specification?
21
22 Developer handbook, ebuild(5), bash(1)
23
24 > * Where i could find basic portage tree datastructure specification,
25 > if there is any?
26
27 Not really.
28
29 > * Does portage have some code documentation for faster learning?
30 > (or should i just read the code?)
31
32 code documentation ... what's that? ;)
33
34 Marius
35 --
36 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list