From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Subject: Re: Fw: [gentoo-portage-dev] changelog encoding
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:26:43
1 On Friday 08 October 2004 3:29 pm, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:31:52 +0200 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | On 10/07/04 Brian wrote:
6 > | > What is the official encoding method(s) for the changelogs. It has
7 > | > been reported that porthole often fails getting the changelogs due
8 > | > to the encoding. Currently it is assuming ascii. Many are
9 > | > reported to be iso-8859-1.
10 > |
11 > | I don't think we have an official encoding, but I think ciaranm knows
12 > | a bit more about that issue.
13 >
14 > Yup. We *need* to have an official encoding. Reason being, at least one
15 > developer has a non-(ASCII as in characters 0..126 only)
16
17 ASCII defines 128 characters: 0-127
18 Why cut the last off?
19
20 > character in their name. Said encoding should also apply to ebuilds, but not
21 > to files/ entries (I could give the lengthy explanation if anyone really
22 > wants to know, but basically certain things would break).
23 >
24 > I've been whinging about this on and off for about a year now, and every
25 > time it's been dismissed as irrelevant :)
26 >
27 > If we're going to standardise on an encoding, it's got to be UTF-8.
28 > iso-8859-1 is not sufficient to represent every developer (and potential
29 > patch contributor)'s name correctly. UTF-16 and plain old four byte
30 > unicode aren't compatible with our existing files (in UTF-8, characters
31 > 1 to 126 are the same as in regular ASCII). Yes, UTF-8 kinda sucks in
32 > terms of space when encoding japanese or russian characters, but since
33 > these will be a rare occurance it's not really a problem.
34 Yay for UTF-8!
35 --
36 Luke-Jr
37 Developer, Utopios