From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Fw: [gentoo-portage-dev] changelog encoding
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:29:54
1 Begin forwarded message:
2
3 Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:56:17 +0100
4 From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
5 To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
6 Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
7 Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] changelog encoding
10 [ not sure if I can post to gentoo-portage-dev, please forward on if
11 not... ]
12
13 On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:31:52 +0200 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
14 wrote:
15 | On 10/07/04 Brian wrote:
16 | > What is the official encoding method(s) for the changelogs. It has
17 | > been reported that porthole often fails getting the changelogs due
18 | > to the encoding. Currently it is assuming ascii. Many are
19 | > reported to be iso-8859-1.
20 |
21 | I don't think we have an official encoding, but I think ciaranm knows
22 | a bit more about that issue.
23
24 Yup. We *need* to have an official encoding. Reason being, at least one
25 developer has a non-(ASCII as in characters 0..126 only) character in
26 their name. Said encoding should also apply to ebuilds, but not to
27 files/ entries (I could give the lengthy explanation if anyone really
28 wants to know, but basically certain things would break).
29
30 I've been whinging about this on and off for about a year now, and every
31 time it's been dismissed as irrelevant :)
32
33 If we're going to standardise on an encoding, it's got to be UTF-8.
34 iso-8859-1 is not sufficient to represent every developer (and potential
35 patch contributor)'s name correctly. UTF-16 and plain old four byte
36 unicode aren't compatible with our existing files (in UTF-8, characters
37 1 to 126 are the same as in regular ASCII). Yes, UTF-8 kinda sucks in
38 terms of space when encoding japanese or russian characters, but since
39 these will be a rare occurance it's not really a problem.
42 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
43 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
44 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm