From: Michael Lienhardt <michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] erroneous behavior in 2-style USE dependencies?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 00:48:07
1 On 6/16/20 11:59 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 6/16/20 6:38 PM, Michael Lienhardt wrote:
3 >> With the first version of DEPEND, emerge succeed:
4 >> # emerge -pv app-misc/dummy-master
5 >>
6 >> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
7 >>
8 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
9 >> [ebuild N ] app-misc/dummy-slave-2::gentoo USE="-static-libs" 0 KiB
10 >> [ebuild N ] app-misc/dummy-master-1::gentoo USE="-static-libs" 0 KiB
11 >
12 > This success is expected, yes? Do you suggest to change the behavior
13 > somehow?
14
15 The way I interpret the PMS, this success is not expected:
16 the atom ">=app-misc/dummy-slave-1" matches the cpv "app-misc/dummy-slave-1" which does not contains the use flag 'static-libs',
17 and thus I expected a 'missing use flag' error.
18 I'm not suggesting to change the behavior of emerge, I'm saying that:
19 - the way I read the PMS, I expect behavior A, but in practice, I see behavior B.
20 - what does the portage devs / PMS gurus think about that?
21 - is my understanding of the PMS wrong, and it actually says "behavior B is expected"?
22 - if yes, where did I fail in my understanding?
23 - if no, should emerge or the PMS be updated so they both describe the same behavior?
24 - I will implement your ruling in my tool, which I try to match as closely as possible to the PMS
25
26 >> With the second version of DEPEND, emerge fails:
27 >> # emerge -pv app-misc/dummy-master
28 >>
29 >> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
30 >>
31 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
32 >>
33 >> emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy "=app-misc/dummy-slave-1[static-libs?]".
34 >> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
35 >> - app-misc/dummy-slave-1::gentoo (Missing IUSE: static-libs)
36 >> (dependency required by "app-misc/dummy-master-1::gentoo" [ebuild])
37 >> (dependency required by "app-misc/dummy-master" [argument])
38 >
39 > This failure is expected, yes? Do you suggest to change the behavior
40 > somehow?
41
42 The way I interpret the PMS, this failure is expected.
43
44 I'm sorry if I'm not always clear, I try to be, and many thanks to take the time to answer my (unexpected and strange) questions.
45
46 Best,
47 Michael