From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Michael Lienhardt <michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] erroneous behavior in 2-style USE dependencies?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 01:26:01
1 On 6/16/20 7:47 PM, Michael Lienhardt wrote:
4 > On 6/16/20 11:59 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
5 >> On 6/16/20 6:38 PM, Michael Lienhardt wrote:
6 >>> With the first version of DEPEND, emerge succeed:
7 >>> # emerge -pv app-misc/dummy-master
8 >>>
9 >>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
10 >>>
11 >>> Calculating dependencies... done!
12 >>> [ebuild N ] app-misc/dummy-slave-2::gentoo USE="-static-libs" 0 KiB
13 >>> [ebuild N ] app-misc/dummy-master-1::gentoo USE="-static-libs" 0 KiB
14 >>
15 >> This success is expected, yes? Do you suggest to change the behavior
16 >> somehow?
17 >
18 > The way I interpret the PMS, this success is not expected:
19 > the atom ">=app-misc/dummy-slave-1" matches the cpv "app-misc/dummy-slave-1" which does not contains the use flag 'static-libs',
20 > and thus I expected a 'missing use flag' error.
21
22 For this calculation, it would be a waste of time to read the IUSE
23 metadata for app-misc/dummy-slave-1, since app-misc/dummy-slave-2 is the
24 highest available version.
25
26 I hope that PMS does not specify that package managers must read IUSE
27 metadata for irrelevant package versions!
28
29 > I'm not suggesting to change the behavior of emerge, I'm saying that:
30 > - the way I read the PMS, I expect behavior A, but in practice, I see behavior B.
31 > - what does the portage devs / PMS gurus think about that?
32 > - is my understanding of the PMS wrong, and it actually says "behavior B is expected"?
33 > - if yes, where did I fail in my understanding?
34 > - if no, should emerge or the PMS be updated so they both describe the same behavior?
35 > - I will implement your ruling in my tool, which I try to match as closely as possible to the PMS
36
37 In this context I think the spirit of what PMS says is that the package
38 manager should emit some kind of warning message if it finds missing
39 IUSE. Now, in the example above, if the package manager has no reason to
40 examine the IUSE metadata of app-misc/dummy-slave-1 because
41 app-misc/dummy-slave-2 is the highest available version, then there's no
42 opportunity for it to emit a warning message.
43 --
44 Thanks,
45 Zac