From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage and porthole
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 05:42:22
1 On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 09:29:22PM -0800, Brian wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2005-10-11 at 20:51 -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:42:54PM -0800, Brian wrote:
4 > > > Just a quick question. With all the changes I see in this list. Is
5 > > > there anything coming (that you know of) that will break porthole's use
6 > > > of portage.
7 > > Long term? I'm unfortunately looking at breaking pretty much all api
8 > > access portage wise, for 3.0.
9 >
10 > I knew that one. From what I have gathered so far I believe 3.0 is
11 > getting the long awaited public API. Is that correct? If so I'll have
12 > to start paying more attention to it and setup a test box to start
13 > changing our portagelib.py to use it. (I can't afford to trash my main
14 > box, I have business stuff on it.) Just let me know when it's time for
15 > testing. :)
16
17 Actually... it's stand alone. I'm working on it alongside stable.
18 It lives in it's own namespace python wise (rather then what stable
19 does), so it doesn't interfere with anything :)
20
21 Regarding API; yah, something will be there- I haven't thought about a
22 true high level API for it yet, but at least the internal stuff is
23 pretty straightforward- what it should be one things are finished up-
24
25 domain=portage.config.load_config().default_domain
26 from portage.package.atom import atom
27 p = max(domain.repos.match(atom("dev-util/diffball"))) # get the max available version
28 b = p.build() # get a build op
29 b.finalize() # build the sucker
30 domain.vdbs.add(b)
31
32 Is basically what it will be; the nasty stuff required for stable
33 won't be there, since this is actuall OOP rather then procedural
34 spaghetti.
35
36 May, or may not layer an API over it, although that's something down
37 the line. Right now working on the v.add chunk.
38
39 > > Short term? Unless you're doing questionable stuff like bypassing the
40 > > cache layer and accessing the files on disk... nope, shouldn't hork
41 > > anything.
42 > >
43 > > ~harring
44 >
45 > mostly just lookup stuff, get defaults, status, package info, etc.. All
46 > emerges are done properly through a terminal and normal command line
47 > calls.
48
49 Yah, nothing that's been talked about should affect querying
50 interfaces.
51 ~harring