From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] gentoolkit.git repository reorganized
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 23:36:18
1 On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:06:33 -0700
3 > Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 17:37:26 -0400
6 >> Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > On 22 Oct 2015 12:54, Paul Varner wrote:
9 >> > > Mike, I know you're busy with other stuff, but if you ever want to
10 >> > > see a new gentoolkit/gentoolkit-dev release, consider this your
11 >> > > authorization to just do it. The README.dev files state how to
12 >> > > make releases.
13 >> >
14 >> > thanks, i think this will help a lot
15 >> >
16 >> > > Since, the tools have dwindled down in gentoolkit-dev, I do think it
17 >> > > does make sense to keep it in the same repo and merge the packages
18 >> > > together behind a USE flag. I will revert the commit, that emptied
19 >> > > the genttolkit-dev branch and ask mgorny to nuke the new
20 >> > > gentoolkit-dev repository.
21 >> > >
22 >> > > As I get time, I will work towards moving the gentoolkit-dev tools
23 >> > > into gentoolkit and putting them behind a USE flag in the ebuild.
24 >> >
25 >> > i'm no distutils expert, and every time i try to do something "fancy",
26 >> > i get frustrated by the module :). do people know of examples where
27 >> > you can do optional installs with a flag ? a cookbook sort of entry
28 >> > here would help and i could take care of merging in say ekeyword.
29 >> > -mike
30 >>
31 >> Have a look at layman's setup.py. It parses IUSE to set the installed
32 >> files via setup.py. It may not be the best method, but it does work.
33 >>
34 >> The layman ebuild sets deps acording to the ISUE flags and setup.py
35 >> sets the installed modules on the python side.
36 >
37 > Sorry, what?! That's a huge QA violation. There is *NO* guarantee that
38 > USE will be exported. In fact, it is only exported because of poor
39 > design inside Portage that could result in the variable getting lost
40 > otherwise.
41
42 PMS says that USE will be exported to the environment. So, this should
43 not break with any PMS-compliant package manager.
44
45 Personally, it makes me cringe, but I suppose it doesn't make a lot of
46 sense to invent an entirely new envvar for it.