From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] gentoolkit.git repository reorganized
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 05:40:25
1 On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:06:33 -0700
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 17:37:26 -0400
5 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On 22 Oct 2015 12:54, Paul Varner wrote:
8 > > > Mike, I know you're busy with other stuff, but if you ever want to
9 > > > see a new gentoolkit/gentoolkit-dev release, consider this your
10 > > > authorization to just do it. The README.dev files state how to
11 > > > make releases.
12 > >
13 > > thanks, i think this will help a lot
14 > >
15 > > > Since, the tools have dwindled down in gentoolkit-dev, I do think it
16 > > > does make sense to keep it in the same repo and merge the packages
17 > > > together behind a USE flag. I will revert the commit, that emptied
18 > > > the genttolkit-dev branch and ask mgorny to nuke the new
19 > > > gentoolkit-dev repository.
20 > > >
21 > > > As I get time, I will work towards moving the gentoolkit-dev tools
22 > > > into gentoolkit and putting them behind a USE flag in the ebuild.
23 > >
24 > > i'm no distutils expert, and every time i try to do something "fancy",
25 > > i get frustrated by the module :). do people know of examples where
26 > > you can do optional installs with a flag ? a cookbook sort of entry
27 > > here would help and i could take care of merging in say ekeyword.
28 > > -mike
29 >
30 > Have a look at layman's setup.py. It parses IUSE to set the installed
31 > files via setup.py. It may not be the best method, but it does work.
32 >
33 > The layman ebuild sets deps acording to the ISUE flags and setup.py
34 > sets the installed modules on the python side.
35
36 Sorry, what?! That's a huge QA violation. There is *NO* guarantee that
37 USE will be exported. In fact, it is only exported because of poor
38 design inside Portage that could result in the variable getting lost
39 otherwise.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny
44 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>