From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:41:52
1 On tor, 2005-06-02 at 22:47 +0200, Dominik Bathon wrote:
2 > Yes, portage does this installing, but only "inside" an ebuild. My idea
3 > was to allow a user to just do this step, without having to write an
4 > ebuild.
5
6 Here follows some random thoughts I have had on this issue.
7
8 I belive the fundamental problem is to relate a bunch of files to
9 eachother, in a meaningfull way, such that you can perform operations
10 on, and keep information on, all of them.
11
12 One solution to this problem was the invention of the directory. With
13 this you kan keep a bunch of files ordered in diffrent directorys. The
14 problem with this solution is that a single file can only be part of one
15 relationship.
16
17 One way to solve this is with links. Sym- and hardlinks makes it
18 possible to let files be part of more relationships.
19
20 Now in this scheme realtionships is nothing more than a common
21 name-prefix in the filesystem.
22
23 So we could install a package in
24 say /packages/org/gentoo/<category>/<package>/<some-slot-and-version-scheme>/<fhs-compliant-installation>
25 and than install links to those files in /
26 To install a package not in portage you would install it with a suitable
27 prefix and then link it in a similar way.
28
29 I think there is a distribution that use a scheme like this just to have
30 a non-fhs-compliant system.
31
32 <possibly-abstract-and-nonsensical>
33
34 To extend this further it could be possible to construct a system where,
35 instead of linking every file of a package, the dirs would be layered on
36 top of / in a transparent layer together with some sorting and
37 prisoritizing policy system. F.ex. some binaries could have a policy to
38 direct all file creations to their install layer.
39
40 </possibly-abstract-and-nonsensical>
43 Now, an entierly diffrent route would be to have an ebuild-shell where
44 actions to build and install a package was recorded just as if it was an
45 ebuild. En ebuild could be generated from this too.
46
47 /John
50 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list