From: Dominik Bathon <dbatml@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:36:44
1 Hi,
2
3 >> now why cant we apply this technique to track whether the package is
4 >> already installed in our system not through portage and inject into
5 >> the database??........
6 >
7 > Where to get this list of files from??........
8
9 I just had an idea:
10
11 Portage could provide a new tool/function that would just take a
12 category-package-version string and a directory and would then install the
13 files in the given directory to ${ROOT}, like it would normally install
14 the files in ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/portage/${PF}/image.
15
16 So the user could do a custom build but then let portage install and
17 manage the application.
18
19 For example:
20
21 cd foo
22 ./configure
23 make
24 mkdir image
25 make DESTDIR="image" install
26 new_tool bar/foo-1.0 image
27
28 new_tool would then install the files in image to ${ROOT}, would add those
29 files to /var/db/pkg/bar/foo-1.0/CONTENTS, would fill the other necessary
30 files in /var/db/pkg/bar/foo-1.0/ with reasonable values and maybe add
31 bar/foo to world, so that it wouldn't be unmerged by emerge depclean.
32
33 This way the user could "inject" custom builds of packages into the
34 portage database. Portage could handle those packages as if they were
35 installed regularly. The user could even use this for applications that
36 are not in the portage tree, without having to write an ebuild and putting
37 it into his overlay.
38
39 What do you think about that?
40