From: Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.lfs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:17:55
1 Hi,
2
3 > A Package Manager must keep all the packages in it's database regardless if
4 > it was installed by the package manager or not. But i dont think this has
5 > been implemented yet.
6
7 >Name one package manager that does this.
8
9 hey am trying to tell this only my friend, why cant portage do it??...
10
11 > >> now why cant we apply this technique to track whether the package is
12 > >> already installed in our system not through portage and inject into
13 > >> the database??........
14
15 here i meant like this, i download a tool, compile it and install it
16 myself, then i will tell portage to find the just installed tool and
17 inject it...here i think we have to maintain something similar to
18 e-builds regarding each packages....this may sound stupid as portage
19 does my work but it would be very helpful when we update
20 glibc,binutils and gcc.....
21
22 > Portage could provide a new tool/function that would just take a
23 > category-package-version string and a directory and would then install the
24 > files in the given directory to ${ROOT}, like it would normally install
25 > the files in ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/portage/${PF}/image.
26 > So the user could do a custom build but then let portage install and
27 > manage the application.
28
29 the idea is fine my friend, but dont you find the same done in
30 Portage?...am sorry if am wrong...i think you can still explain....
31
32 with regards,
33 C.C.Chakkaradeep
36 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list