From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:35:17
1 On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:16:06PM -0500, Kito wrote:
2 > My first question would be how to identify ebuilds that respect $
3 > {prefix}?
4 >
5 > A separate profile/keyword seems wrong.
6 Agreed.
9 > ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would
10 > be a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic.
11 DOMAIN is a saner name imo. Aside from that, listing every potential
12 target (/usr/bin, $HOME/bin fex) is whacky and getting into the HOME
13 stuff that comes after.
14
15 I would suggest root, and offset as the initial targets.
16 root would be implicit if DOMAIN isn't defined, and references / as
17 the prefix. offset is just as it sounds, a root offset, everything
18 from that tree installed at an offset.
19
20 > Maybe
21 > it would be better to have portage error check that globally at the
22 > load_config stage against a list of known stupid prefixes,
23 > stupidprefixes=["/usr","/","/bin"] etc. etc.
24 Bit beyond the ken of this discussion, but yah, agreed.
25 ~harring