From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:16:38
1 On Oct 5, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:24:29 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > | To head off the "it's not going to work for vim-*", yah, you'll be
6 > | boned and have to install duplicate vim-* into the global prefix.
7 > | Bluntly, either you dive in and start wading through the problems
8 > | (fixing them as you go), or you sit back listening to how it's never
9 > | going to work (thus accomplishing nothing).
10 >
11 > It can be made to work, so long as you don't
12 > a) jump in without proper planning
13
14 Well, then lets plan, not flame.
15
16 > b) assume that you'll not have to modify ebuilds
17
18 I don't think anyone(devs) has made this naive assumption have they?
19
20 > and c)
21 > demand that as soon as it's available, it works for all ebuilds.
22
23 I don't think anyone(devs) has made this naive demand have they?
26 So, lets address a) and c) since b) is a given.
27
28 My first question would be how to identify ebuilds that respect $
29 {prefix}?
30
31 A separate profile/keyword seems wrong.
32
33 ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would
34 be a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic. Maybe
35 it would be better to have portage error check that globally at the
36 load_config stage against a list of known stupid prefixes,
37 stupidprefixes=["/usr","/","/bin"] etc. etc.
38
39 --Kito
40 --
41 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list