From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:15:02
1 On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Kito wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 >
5 > My first question would be how to identify ebuilds that respect ${prefix}?
6 >
7 > A separate profile/keyword seems wrong.
8 >
9 > ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would be
10 > a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic.
11
12 What problem was ICANINSTALLTO intended to solve? IIRC, it was discussed
13 on -dev in the context of vim plug-ins. Apart from vim plugins, has anyone
14 found other problem packages?
15
16 I'm wondering, would a constraint to the effect that "certain deps of pkg
17 foo must be on the same prefix as foo" suffice for the vim plugin case?
18
19 Or maybe that would work better if expressed, "pkg blah can not satisfy a
20 dep from any pkg on a different prefix". Such constraints would be
21 possible to implement with a new file in the profile (say, package.local).
22
23 -f
24
25 > Maybe it would be better to have portage error check that globally at
26 > the load_config stage against a list of known stupid prefixes,
27 > stupidprefixes=["/usr","/","/bin"] etc. etc.
30 > --Kito
33 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list