From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:23:54
1 On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:14:32PM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
4 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Kito wrote:
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 > >
8 > > My first question would be how to identify ebuilds that respect ${prefix}?
9 > >
10 > > A separate profile/keyword seems wrong.
11 > >
12 > > ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would be
13 > > a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic.
14 >
15 > What problem was ICANINSTALLTO intended to solve? IIRC, it was discussed
16 > on -dev in the context of vim plug-ins. Apart from vim plugins, has anyone
17 > found other problem packages?
18 >
19 > I'm wondering, would a constraint to the effect that "certain deps of pkg
20 > foo must be on the same prefix as foo" suffice for the vim plugin case?
21 >
22 > Or maybe that would work better if expressed, "pkg blah can not satisfy a
23 > dep from any pkg on a different prefix". Such constraints would be
24 > possible to implement with a new file in the profile (say, package.local).
25 That gets into more of ciaran's HOME installation target feature.
26 Current form for global prefix offset is
27 DOMAIN="root offset" , with offset == prefix offset.
28
29 If an ebuild doesn't have DOMAIN="offset", and you're doing a prefix
30 offset, it's unusable. No question of "can I use a dep from another
31 prefix", with prefix offset you're doing the deps full in an offset.
32
33 As stated earlier in this mess of a thread, HOME crap is being left to
34 those who want it, it'll be implemented by those who want it after
35 global prefix is ironed out (if it is accepted also).
36 ~harring