From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Plugin framework
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:07:33
1 On Monday 14 November 2005 23:17, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:38:28 +0900
3 >
4 > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
5 > > The cache and elog plugin selection(s) come from user settings but
6 > > emaint (and repoman whenever that happens (and possibly even emerge
7 > > itself one day?)) needs to automatically detect what's available and
8 > > use it.
9 >
10 > The last part I consider questionable, while they shouldn't come from
11 > the user config directly I'd be very careful with a "use everything
12 > possible" policy. Not saying that it's flat wrong or that I have a
13 > better plan right now, but having this as a primary design goal seems
14 > wrong.
15
16 That's why there's the issubclass() check. That guarantees that modules found
17 in a certain path (of a certain "plugin type") provide a prespecified API.
18 Utilizing that API, it's then possible to inspect the plugin in any way
19 necessary. My goal at this level is just to provide an easy way to enumerate
20 what plugins are available and have some assurance that a certain API is
21 available.
22
23 If you're talking with regard to emaint specifically. The goal is to have
24 plugins detected at runtime and available as extra targets beyond the current
25 "world". That would allow things such as revdep-rebuild to be integrated
26 without the need for special handling on the emaint side.
29 Jason Stubbs
30 --
31 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list